Friday, January 28, 2011

LOST NEW YORK: FUNNY CRY HAPPY GIFT

On West 14th Street, near 6th Avenue in Manhattan once stood my favorite-named business in New York:  FUNNY CRY HAPPY GIFT.  It was run by a nice Chinese couple and if your idea of a "gift" was a really cheap "Hello Kitty" knockoff backpack, well, this was your place!  Sadly, they went out of business a few years ago.  I always meant to ask them, "HOW did you come up with this name?  Which names did you reject in favor of 'Funny Cry Happy'?"  Fascinating...but alas, one more bit of forever lost New York....


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you took this photo. FCHG was MY favorite business name, too, and I was bummed when they closed. I know live in Portland, OR, and my new favorite business name (located on Powell Blvd.) is "Husky or Maltese Whatever."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is FANTASTIC! ("Husky or Maltese Whatever"!!). That is a special favorite of mine now, too!

      Delete