Friday, February 4, 2011

Please DON'T send in the clowns!


Coulrophobia:  The fear of clowns.  I have yet to find anyone who genuinely finds clowns to be either cute, funny, adorable or anything that could be construed as "happy".  Instead, I think most would concur that clowns are frightening and appalling and would not want to have their children within ten feet of one, even if chaperoned by a grown adult with a stun gun.  When did this sea change occur?  The "clown" as we know it, has been around for centuries, a symbol of light-hearted silliness. But in this more cynical and suspicious time, this white faced creature has been increasingly demonized, both in films (Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Shakes the Clown) and in real life, most notably with mass-murderer John Wayne Gacy, who was known by his alter-ego, "Pogo the Clown" as he performed for children's parties in the suburbs of Chicago.

(Above:  Gacy as "Pogo")
For me, I cannot look at a clown ever again without instantly associating it with Gacy and his monstrous acts.  My fear of mimes, if anything, is even more deeply-rooted.  Mimes are profoundly scary creatures (fear of mimes: Metamfiezomaiophobia).  What's more, I've always found Harpo Marx to be extremely disturbing.  You know how when you were a little kid and would have feverish nightmares with scary monsters chasing you?  My monsters were always Harpo Marx...and Woody Woodpecker (who was trying to peck my eyes out....note to self: See analyst).  But that's a topic for another day. 

What exactly is it that is so profoundly frightening about clowns?  I remember thinking as a child that the clowns teeth were what scared me the most....compared with their "clown white" makeup, the teeth always appeared brownish-yellow and ready to sink into my little arm.  Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I'm thinking they should be banished, or atleast separated from polite society...

1 comment:

  1. Dear God, I could not agree more! A sweet little story I'll share here: I was in a support group followin my illness and a man arrived (an obvious "support group junkie") and his suggestion was that we incorporate visiting clowns to hospitals to "cheer up" the suffering. I think I had to be restrained after his suggestion and yelled out, "If a f'in' clown had ever shown up near me while I was in the hospital it would be one less of those creepy bastards we'd have to worry about!". It was a charming episode and I promptly called it a night!!
    Gilstrap

    ReplyDelete